Saturday, January 5, 2008

Grow Your Own Food in 2008

Well, not too many people know, but MrLowBodyFat is also a home hydroponics gardener. That's right, I've grown 'maters, cukes, watermelon, cantaloupe, bell peppers, chiles, gourds, and tomatillos to name a few. What's really crazy is that I grew all of them without using dirt! For more information on hydroponics, click here. And, to see some of the gardens, hydro and traditional, that I've had since 2004, feel free to check out my public web albums.

I have to warn you that when you are first starting out with hydro-gardening, it may seem a bit too complicated and expensive, especially if you decide to buy a commercially made hydroponics unit. So, if you have never tried your hand at home gardening, then I have a great, inexpensive, and simple project for you: grow mushrooms!

That's right, you can buy a home mushroom growing kit and grow more than enough fresh mushrooms for you, your family, and probably your neighbors too. I don't know about you, but I just love mushrooms, which are a good source of minerals such as selenium, ergothioneine, copper, potassium, and vitamins B and D.

Besides the obvious health benefits of eating mushrooms, you have never tasted a mushroom until you eat one that's freshly picked! However, keep in mind that our stomach's acid can not break down raw mushrooms, so you have to cook for your body to absorb the healthy minerals and vitamins I mentioned above. Knowing this, I think it's pretty funny that raw mushrooms are always available at virtually every salad bar. Do yourself a favor, if you can't steam or sautee them before putting them into your salad, skip 'em unless you simply want the extra roughage.

What? You don't believe that our bodies can't breakdown raw mushrooms? OK smart guy, do one small experiment for me. Swallow a small, raw mushroom whole, and keep check of your stool the next time(s) you go the bathroom. Just don't freak out and think that you've crapped out some important internal body tissue when you see a whole or partially-whole mushroom floating around like I did! LOL!

For more pictures of the mushroom kit I used and how it progressed to my first harvest, check out these pics. To read more about the kit and the company selling them, check out:

www.mushroomadventures.com


Shipping was pretty fast for me since I live in CA; nevertheless, the kit was shipped soon after I ordered it online. I ordered the half white button mushrooms and portabellas!

Please let me know if you order one and how it turned out.

No comments: